Thursday, May 26, 2016

Pearl Wedding Anniversary

In this current world of easy divorces, broken relationships and same-sex marriages, some may wonder if the original institution of marriage that brings a man and a woman together can really withstand the test of time.
Every relationship is unique.  Bringing two different people - probably also two families - together is a challenge in itself.

But when I look again at the marriage vows my wife and I took, I am reminded that it is indeed about staying together "for better, for worse", "for richer, for poorer", "in sickness and in health" and "to love and to cherish, till death do us part".

Today I celebrate 30 years of being married to a woman I have known for 33 years.  It dawned on me that though I may not be her Valentine who publicly declares my love for her with lavish gifts or celebrate with candle-light dinner, she is never envious of others who do. 

A portion of this time, she has been alongside me in my struggle, in pain, and for a good number of years with me as drawing little or no income (poorer).
On the flipside, in happy times, in times of good health, and in times of plenty, we have never taken our love for granted.
Only when we are in good times will we able to love in tough times.
Now that is one lesson about marriage I love to pass on to all who intend to tie the knot one day.
Our faith in God has deepened in a way that only suffering and trusting in God can bring about.

Promises are divided into two kinds.  One is the kind where you don't intend to keep.  Another the serious kind, and people should not make them unless they mean to keep it.

Wedding is just a day, the marriage is forever.




No comments: