Sunday, August 29, 2021

God is a Person

It is of the LORD’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  They are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness. LAMENTATIONS 3:22–23

When I was a small boy, I thought of God as an old man with a long white beard.  After all, hadn’t Michelangelo painted Him that way?

Later, as I read the Bible, and after I had accepted Christ as my Savior, I realized that God is a spirit, yet He has the attributes of a person:  He thinks; He speaks; He communicates; He loves; He becomes angry; He grieves.

Because God is a person, He feels that which we feel.  After all, we are made in His image, so it is to be expected that we would be able to communicate our deepest feelings and emotions to God.

God communicates with us in two ways.  First, He communicates with us through His written Word, the Bible.  It tells us who God is, who we are, and why we need a Savior so that we might have that relationship with God which sin has broken.

Second, God communicates with us through His Son.  Jesus said that no man can come to the Father except through Him.  We have that access to Jesus, and thus to God, through salvation.

God is the same yesterday, today and forever.  He never changes.

Our Father and our God, sometimes I can’t express my deepest emotions. But I know that Jesus can express my very heart to You and that You understand.  Thank You, Father, for Your great compassion and faithful love.  In the name of Christ, amen.

[From  UNTO THE HILLS  A Daily Devotional by BILLY GRAHAM]

No comments: